Everything you read tells you to give your home a thorough cleaning prior to selling but nobody wants their home smelling like a combination of commercial cleaning products. Try these DIY products for cleaning your home, even if you don’t plan to sell. Go green when you clean.
1. GLASS CLEANER
• 2 cups water
• 1/2 cup white or cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol (70% concentration)
• 1 to 2 drops of orange essential oil, which gives the solution a lovely smell (optional)
How to use: Combine ingredients and store in a spray bottle. Spray on a paper towel or soft cloth first, then on the glass.
2. HEAVY-DUTY SCRUB
Great for: Rust stains on porcelain or enamel sinks and tubs
• Half a lemon
• 1/2 cup borax (a laundry booster; find it in the detergent aisle)
How to use: Dip the lemon into the borax and scrub surface; rinse. (Not safe for marble or granite.)
3. GREASE CLEANER
Great for: Oven hoods, grills
• 1/2 cup sudsy ammonia mixed with enough water to fill a one-gallon container. (Sudsy ammonia, which has detergent in it, helps remove tough grime.)
How to use: Dip sponge or mop in solution and wipe over surface, then rinse area with clear water.
4. ALL-PURPOSE CLEANER AND DEODORIZER
Great for: Kitchen counters and appliances
• 4 tablespoons baking soda
• 1 quart warm water
How to use: Pour solution on a clean sponge and wipe.